Board of Directors
Mr. Mohomed Bashir joined the Board of Gul Ahmed Textile Mills Limited in 1982. He is a fellow member of Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), United Kingdom.
Mr. Mohomed Bashir has a very rich and extensive experience in the commerce and industry. He is currently the Chairman of the Board of Directors of Gul Ahmed Textile Mills Limited. He is also serving on the Boards of the following companies;
- Pakistan Business Council
- Gul Ahmed Energy Limited
- Habib Metropolitan Bank Limited
- GTM (Europe) Limited – UK
- Gul Ahmed International Limited (FZC) – UAE
- GTM USA Corp – USA
- Habib University Foundation
- Education Fund of Sindh
- Gul Ahmed Holdings (Private) Limited
- Gul Ahmed Power Company (Private) Limited
- Gul Ahmed Renewable Energy Company (Private) Limited
Presently, his honorary Government, Trade & Industry and Consular positions include:
- Chairman, (Committee to Improve Pakistan’s rating on Ease of Business Index)
- Honorary Consul General of Sweden – Karachi
- Member, Advisory Board of CPLC, Government of Sindh (2010)
- Member, Pakistan France Business Council
- Member, Pakistan German Business Council
- Member, Tax Reform Commission, Ministry of Finance
- Member, Tax Advisory Council, FBR
Previously, he has also held the following honorary Government and Trade and Industry positions:
- Chairman, Pakistan Business Council (2014-2015)
- Vice Chairman, Pakistan Business Council (2013 – 2014)
- President, International Textile Manufacturers Federation (ITMF) (2010-2012)
- Vice President, International Textile Manufacturers Federation (2008-2010)
- Founder, Trustee, Fellowship Fund For Pakistan till 2013
- Member, Advisory Committee, Federal Tax Ombudsman, Government of Pakistan (2011-2014)
- Member, Economic Advisory Council, Government of Pakistan (2001-2003/2008-2013)
- Member, Export Promotion Board, Government of Pakistan (2002-2007, 1995-1997)
- Member, National Strategy on Textiles (2006-2007)
- Chairman, Pakistan Britain Advisory Council (2002-2005)
- Chairman, All Pakistan Textile Mills Association (1989 -1990)
- Vice Chairman, All Pakistan Textile Mills Association (1982-1985)
- Chairman, Pakistan Swiss Trade and Industry Committee (1981-2000)
- Governing Board, Pakistan Design Institute (1981- 2000)
In recognition of his services, he was awarded Sitara~e~Imtiaz by the President of Pakistan in 2006 and has also been conferred as Justice of Peace.
Mr. Zain Bashir joined the Board in May 1997. He is also the Vice Chairman of the Company and is a certified director from the Pakistan Institute of Corporate Governance (PICG). He is on the Board of Landhi Infrastructure Development and Management Company, which is responsible for enhancing the infrastructure of Landhi Industrial Area. In 2009-2010, he remained the Chairman of the Landhi Association of Trade and Industry. In 2012-2013, he remained the Chairman of the Pakistan Bedwear Exporters Association. He is presently the President of the Landhi Association of Trade and Industry for the year 2015-2016.
His extensive association with the textile sector has provided him with an in-depth knowledge of the industry.
Mr. Mohammed Zaki Bashir joined the Board in March 2008. He is currently the Chief Executive Officer of Gul Ahmed Textile Mills Limited. He holds a graduate degree from Regent’s Business School, UK, in the subject of International Business and is also a certified director from Pakistan Institute of Corporate Governance (PICG).
Through his thorough knowledge of the Company, he has contributed to the overall growth of the Company.
Mr. Ziad Bashir has been on the Board since February 1999. A graduate from Babson College, USA, with a bachelor degree in Entrepreneurial Studies, he has a comprehensive experience of the textile sector and is involved in various developmental and operational activities of the Company.
He is also associated with the Information Technology (IT) industry and has played a key role in the transformation of the Company’s IT infrastructure. He is a certified director from Pakistan Institute of Corporate Governance (PICG).
Over the years, he has served as Chairman of Landhi Association of Trade and Industry and on the Board of Central Managing Committee of All Pakistan Textile Mills Association (APTMA). He has also served as a president of Young Presidents Organization (YPO), Pakistan and Executive Committee of the Pakistan Board of Investment. He is currently serving on the Punjab Board of Investment.
As an independent non-executive director, Mr. S.M. Nadim Shafiqullah’s association with the Board dates back to March 2008. He is also the Chairman of the Audit Committee of the Company and a certified director from Pakistan Institute of Corporate Governance (PICG).
He had served as director and vice chairman on the Board of Security Leasing Corporation Limited in the past.
Dr. Amjad Waheed joined the Board as an independent non-executive director on March 31, 2011. He holds a Doctorate in Business Administration with a major in Investments and Finance from Southern Illinois University, USA and is also a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA). Since is inception, he is CEO of NBP Fullerton Asset Management Limited (NAFA), which is a subsidiary of National Bank of Pakistan, with Fullerton Fund Management Company of Singapore as the other joint venture partner. NAFA is presently managing 15 mutual funds, two pension funds and several Advisory portfolios with around Rs. 63 billion (as on 31 August 2016) invested in these funds..
Before joining NAFA, Dr. Amjad was Head of Equity Mutual Funds & Portfolios at Riyadh Bank, Saudi Arabia, for about five years where he was managing around USD 7.5 billion invested in 22 mutual funds. Prior to that he was Head of Asset Management at NIT, and Chief Operating Officer of FC-ABN AMRO Equities for several years. Before moving back to Pakistan, Dr. Amjad Waheed was Assistant Professor of Finance at Tennessee State University, USA and has published several articles in top journals of the world such as Journal of Banking & Finance and Financial Management.
Dr. Amjad Waheed has served on the boards of various companies including Siemens (Pakistan) Engineering Co. Ltd., Nishat Mills Ltd., PICIC, Askari Bank Ltd., Millat Tractors Ltd., Fauji Fertilizer Company Ltd., Pakistan Tobacco Company Ltd., Parke-Davis & Company Ltd., Treet Corporation Ltd., Atlas Investment Bank Ltd., Bata Pakistan Ltd and Mehran Sugar Mills Limited.
Dr. Amjad Waheed has been elected as the Chairman of the Board of Directors of Mutual Funds Association of Pakistan (MUFAP) for the year 2013-2014.
Dr. Amjad Waheed is a certified director from Pakistan Institute of Corporate Governance (PICG).
Mr. Ehsan A. Malik joined the Board of Directors of the Company as an independent non-executive director in June 2016. He is a certified director from the Pakistan Institute of Corporate Governance (PICG). Mr. Ehsan A. Malik is currently serving as the Chief Executive Officer of Pakistan Business Council. From 1st September 2006 to 31th October 2014, Mr. Malik was the Chief Executive Officer of Unilever Pakistan Limited and a Director of Unilever Pakistan Foods Limited. Prior to this he was Chairman and CEO, Unilever Sri Lanka Limited. His earlier International appointments covered Unilever’s regional business in Egypt, Lebanon, Jordan, Syria and Sudan as well as Unilever’s Head Office in UK. These preceded senior commercial and financial roles at Unilever Pakistan. He is also a Member of the Board of Directors of Abbott Laboratories Pakistan Limited, IGI Life Insurance Limited, National Foods Limited and International Industries Limited.
Mr. Malik is a fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of England and wales and alumni of the Wharton and Harvard Business Schools.